On this week’s episode of Around the Table, Maggie and I talk all things Thanksgiving - favorite traditions, family dynamics, and of course, FOOD! We also touch on Black Friday and what we’re thankful for this year.
You can listen to this episode in your browser on our website, in iTunes, or using your favorite podcast app.
Show notes for this episode:
- My favorite Thanksgiving pie is pumpkin. Period.
- Maggie’s family is bonkers about Thanksgiving. They even made t-shirts – no turkey dinner, bottle rockets, and copious amounts of wine are all essential components.
- My family spent Thanksgiving in Carmel, California. Thanksgiving at the beach, anyone?
- How do you deal with change in tradition?
- Maggie’s family has started going to Skyzone since they relocated their family gathering. Trampolines after Thanksgiving dinner….yikes!
- I’ve learned that fierce attachment to traditions can get in the way of fully experiencing the joy of the season.
- It was a difficult adjustment when I got married and didn’t get to do all my family’s traditions, or spend each holiday with them.
Holiday Family Dynamics:
- We get REAL about family struggles. Why do we always seem to regress to our childhood selves over the holidays?
- Maggie makes the point that if we go into family gatherings expecting conflict, it can become a self fulfilling prophecy.
- Takeaways: don’t correct Maggie’s grammar or tease Jacey about her pumpkin pie.
Favorite Thanksgiving Foods:
- Maggie’s family has a secret chocolatey alcoholic beverage called ‘The Recipe.’
- My favorite side dish involves butter, cream, cheese, and corn.
- And another reference to the famous Harris family stack cake.
- Joy the Baker has a great asparagus recipe – a perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
- Three keys to a stress free Thanksgiving meal:
- Ask for help (but don’t micro-manage).
- Pick a few show-stoppers, and keep the rest simple.
- Vary your dishes so that you have some that are made ahead, some that aren’t.
- Shauna Niequist wrote a great post last week with ten tips for hosting Thanksgiving
- We’re not really into it.
BUT, we are really into gifts! So, we’re going to be sharing our Around the Table Gift Menu. Launching December 2nd – stay tuned for more details (there may even be some giveaways!)
Gratitude and what we’re thankful for (cue cheesy music):
- We discuss the benefits of practicing gratitude.
- This Real Simple article offer some great points.
- But don’t prescribe gratitude when someone just needs you to listen.
- I am thankful for: my work, Mike, deep and textured friendships, and Maggie.
- Maggie is thankful for: her health, a city like Charleston to call home, and Jacey.
What are your favorite Thanksgiving dishes and traditions? What are you thankful for?